Master of Arts in Spirituality
Commencing October 2016 - Part-time Evening (6 Semesters)
In order to respond to the growing interest for a deeper understanding of spirituality, the Faculty of Theology is offering a course to help students acquire a holistic perception of life and of the human person, and to value the contribution of spirituality to the individual and human society. In the second year of study, students will be able to choose whether to pursue their interests in General Spirituality or Carmelite Spirituality.
This course intends to offer students a solid grounding in the theology and tradition of Christian spirituality. It also equips students with the skills needed to become animators of other persons and communities in their process of Christian development. Students will develop the ability to discern the signs of the time.
Carmelite Spirituality (Stream B)
In the second year, the programme will focus on the Carmelite Spiritual and Mystical tradition. Participants, through lectures, workshops and research will:
- be made aware of their innate spiritual potentiality;
- will receive a solid grounding in the Christian and Carmelite spiritual experience;
- be equipped with the skills needed to become animators of other persons and communities in their process of spiritual development.
Core Areas of Study
- Foundations of Carmelite Spirituality;
- Saint John of the Cross;
- The Development of the Carmelite Spiritual Tradition;
- Mystical Texts: Origen’s Commentary on the Song of Songs;
- St Theresa of Jesus;
- Major Themes in Carmelite Spirituality.
This course is offered to any person who has successfully completed an undergraduate degree and who wish to:
- have a sabbatical;
- be involved in the spiritual formation of others;
- be committed in ministry and catechesis;
- continue their ongoing personal formation;
- deepen their spiritual life.
Those who opt not to continue for an MA will be awarded:
- after one year of study, a postgraduate Certificate in Spirituality;
- after two years of study, a postgraduate Diploma in Carmelite Spirituality.
This programme of studies is being offered with the cooperation of:
- Carmelite Institute
- Faculty of Theology
- Various international lecturers