The Carmelite community at Mdina wish to convey to all a blessed Saint Valentine feast. May the God of Love shower upon us, especially on all couples, perseverance in true love. Saint Valentine, Bishop and Martyr is buried beneath the Carmelite Basilica in Terni, Rome. Some of his relics were transferred to Whitefriars (Carmelites) Shrine in Dublin, during the 19th century.
Celebrazzjoni tal-Grupp OASI ghall-Koppji f’jum San Valentinu, Isqof u Martri
“Throughout the centuries since Valentine received martyrdom there have been various basilicas, churches and monasteries built over the site of his grave. Many restorations and reconstructions took place at the site, therefore over the years. In the early 1800s such work was taking place and the remains of Valentine were discovered along with a small vessel tinged with his blood and some other artefacts.
In 1835 an Irish Carmelite by the name of John Spratt was visiting Rome. He was well known in Ireland for his skills as a preacher and also for his work among the poor and destitute in Dublin’s Liberties area. He was also responsible for the building of the new church to Our Lady of Mount Carmel at Whitefriar Street. While he was in Rome he was asked to preach at the famous Jesuit Church in the city, the Gesu. Apparently his fame as a preacher had gone before him, no doubt brought by some Jesuits who had been in Dublin. The elite of Rome flocked to hear him and he received many tokens of esteem from the doyens of the Church. One such token came from Pope Gregory XVI (1831-1846) and were the remains of Saint Valentine.” (Read more – Shrine of St Valentine, Whitefriar Street Church)
Go Ahead, Leave A Comment